Scheidemantel, George and Gladys, House - East Aurora, NY
Posted by: Rayman
N 42° 45.942 W 078° 37.276
17T E 694625 N 4737540
Quick Description: A house famous for its relationship to the Roycroft arts and crafts movement is now operated as a museum showcasing pieces from the early 19th century.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 2/10/2008 2:29:23 PM
Waymark Code: WM34YT
The George and Gladys Scheidemantel House is significant as an example of Craftsman style art and architecture in New York. George Scheidemantel was a master craftsman who served as the Roycroft Leather Shop from 1915-1918. As this was Scheidemantel's own home and contained his leather workshop, which survives completely intact, it is significant as the location where he carried out much of the work for which he achieved significance.
The house was built in 1910 to the design of William Roth, head Roycroft carpenter, and it is a fine example of his work. The exterior design combines the American Foursquare and Craftsman styles, popular idioms for residential design in the first decades of the 1900s. Typical features include the two-story form, overhanging gable roof parallel to the street, shed-roofed attic dormer with exposed rafters, inset porch, multi-light windows, and prominent brick chimney, among others.
The Scheidemantels occupied the house from its date of constuction until the late 19th century. Because of this, the house retains many of its original furnishings. And since the house is now a museum, numerous additional pieces of Roycroft furniture, china, and decorative objects have been added. The house is now known as operated as the Elbert Hubbard Roycroft Museum
363 Oakwood Ave
East Aurora, NY United States
County / Borough / Parish: Erie
Year listed: 1993
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Person
Periods of significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Historic function: Domestic: Secondary Structure, Single Dwelling
Current function: Recreation And Culture: Museum
Privately owned?: yes
Season start / Season finish: From: 6/1/2008 To: 10/31/2008
Hours of operation: From: 1:00 PM To: 4:00 PM
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.