Wyoming Village Historic District - Wyoming, New York
Posted by: Szuchie
N 42° 49.687 W 078° 05.286
17T E 738012 N 4745841
Quick Description: A magnificent historical district located in downtown Wyoming, New York!
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 2/3/2008 10:38:27 AM
Waymark Code: WM33C1
At the above coordinates visitors will find a boulder with a plaque mounted to it. The plaque states:
The Gaslight Village of Wyoming
1809 - First named "Newell's Settlement" in honor of Silas Newell, pioneer settler.
1829 - Renamed Wyoming by Judge John Skinner. 72 buildings are listed on the National Register thus forming the Wyoming Historical District.
This location is the center of the historic district, and fun-seekers can travel view in any direction beautiful old structures that make up the district (many of these structures date back to the 1800's - and in most cases the year the establishment was constructed is designated on the front of the building).
The focal point of the historic district is the Middlebury Academy which is located at:
N 42° 49.652
W 078° 05.357
The Middlebury Academy was built in 1817 and was the first high school in the Holland Purchase. The Academy offered co-educational and non-denominational classical studies to the youth of Western New York until 1912. The Academy is now a museum that is owned and operated by the Middlebury Historical Society. It is listed seperately on the National Registry of Historic Places.