Spasso-Preobrazhenskiy (Transfiguration of the Savior) Monastery - Yaroslavl, Russian Federation
Posted by: NevaP
N 57° 37.252 E 039° 53.399
37V E 553159 N 6386850
Quick Description: This is one of the oldest monasteries on the upper Volga River.
Date Posted: 1/29/2008 8:28:25 AM
Waymark Code: WM32BH
The Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy (Transfiguration of the Savior) monastery in Yaroslavl was founded in latter half of the 12th century. It was initially a Kremlin or walled fortress located at the confluence of the Kotorosl River and the Volga.. It became the cultural center of the region and played a prominent role in political and economical life of the city. The monastery owned fisheries and participated in trade in the area. In 1774 a theological seminary was opened in the monastery. The monastery library possessed thousands of valuable books and manuscripts.
The main church of the monastery, the Spaso-Preoprazhensky cathedral, now the oldest building left in Yaroslavl, was constructed in the early 16th century on a 12th century foundation. The bell tower next to the Cathedral (currently undergoing reconstruction) also was built in the 16th century. The present walls of the complex have undergone much reconstruction but parts date from the 17th century. Part of the Holy Gate at the main entrance was constructed in 1516.
The complex is now preserved as a museum and it is a highlight of Yaroslavl tours. Tour groups will probably be treated to a demonstration of bell ringing.
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Spasso-Preobrazhenskiy (Transfiguration of the Savior) Monastery
25, Bogoyavlenskaya sq
Yaroslavl, Russian Federation
Religious affiliation: Russian Orthodox
Web Site: [Web Link]
Date founded/constructed: Not listed
Status of Use: Not listed
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.