Turvey Abbey - Turvey, Bedfordshire, UK
Posted by: Dragontree
N 52° 09.719 W 000° 37.087
30U E 662915 N 5781729
Quick Description: Turvey Abbey is both the Priory of Our Lady of Peace and Monastery of Christ our Saviour, being home to the nuns and monks of the Roman Catholic community living to the Rule of St Benedict.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/21/2008 10:39:43 AM
Waymark Code: WM30Q1
This riverside village is in Bedfordshire and the main A428 road runs right past this impressive Abbey. Both the nuns and monks worship together and their lives are structured around their beliefs. The Abbey dates from 1603 and was originally a family home. It underwent alterations in 1855 and 1860 and became an official Abbey in 1980.
The style of the Abbey is Jacobean with interesting features and gable ends. The Abbey was the home of the Higgins family who have famous Bedford connections. Charles Longuet Higgins, the owner of Turvey Abbey and Lord of the Manor, Thomas Charles Higgins, who owned both Turvey House and Turvey Cottage and Lt-Col William Bartholomew Higgins who lived at Pict's Hill. All three were Justices of the Peace. Charles owned the Abbey estate and died unmarried in 1792. He was succeeded by his nephew who was called John Higgins, who became Lord of the Manor and lived at Turvey Abbey. His son was Charles Longuet Higgins. John Higgins was a famous watercolour artist of Bedford.
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Priory of Our Lady of Peace
Turvey, Bedfordshire United Kingdom
Religious affiliation: Roman Catholic, Saint Benedict, Olivetan family
Date founded/constructed: 1603 Abbey Family House then 1980 Abbey of Religion
Web Site: [Web Link]
Status of Use: Acitvely Used
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.