Duval County Courthouse - Jacksonville, FL
N 30° 19.517 W 081° 39.206
17R E 437183 N 3355011
Quick Description: The Duval County Courthouse is located on East Bay Street in downtown Jacksonville, Florida, USA.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 11/27/2007 7:39:44 PM
Waymark Code: WM2NWP
Duval County's first courthouse was built in the 1840s at what is now the corner of Forsyth and Market Streets. It was burned during the Civil War. A more durable brick structure went up in 1886. According to "postcard historian" Hampton Dunn, in Jacksonville "time is measured by 'before the fire' or 'after the fire'", referring to the Great Fire of 1901 that wiped out the downtown. Among the first buildings reconstructed was the courthouse, which was relocated across the street from the old. The walls of the older building survived the fire, were incorporated into a new armory, and, remodeled again at mid-century, remain as part of the present-day Lanier Building.
The 1902 courthouse, designed by architect Rutledge Holmes, soon proved too small and an annex was added in 1914. Apparently the plans contemplated the possibility of adding as many as seven more stories, but this was never done. Instead, a modern courthouse was dedicated in 1958 and the 1902 courthouse was demolished; the annex was spared and, later expanded to cover the entire site, continues to house county offices.