Historic Center of Brugge, Belgium
Posted by: richwolf
N 51° 12.529 E 003° 13.452
31U E 515660 N 5673070
Quick Description: Brugge is an outstanding example of a medieval historic settlement, which has maintained its historic fabric as this has evolved over the centuries, and where original Gothic constructions form part of the town's identity.
Date Posted: 11/12/2007 3:55:51 PM
Waymark Code: WM2JPM
Bruges has most of its medieval architecture intact. The historic centre of Bruges is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2000.
There are many worth seeing medieval buildings, including the Church of Our Lady, whose brick spire - at 122m - makes it one of the world's highest brick towers/buildings. The sculpture Madonna and Child, which can be seen in the transept, is believed to be Michelangelo's only sculpture to have left Italy within his lifetime.
Bruges is also famous for its 13th-century Belfry, housing a municipal Carillon comprising 47 bells. The city still employs a full-time bell ringer, Aimé Lombaért, who puts on regular free concerts.
Other famous buildings in Bruges include:
* The Beguinage
* The Basilica of the Holy Blood (Heilig Bloed Basiliek). The relic of the Holy Blood, which was brought to the city during the First Crusade, is paraded every year through the streets of the city. More than 1,600 inhabitants take part in this mile-long religious procession, many dressed as medieval knights or crusaders.
* The modern Concertgebouw (Concert Building)
* The Old St-John's Hospital
* The Sint-Salvator Cathedral
* The Groeningemuseum
* The City Hall
* The Provincial Court (Provinciaal Hof)
* The old city gateways: the Kruispoort, Gentpoort, Smedenpoort and Ezelpoort. The Dampoort, Katelijnepoort and Boeveriepoort are gone.
Bruges also has a very fine collection of medieval and early modern art, including the world-famous collection of Flemish Primitives. Various masters, such as Hans Memling and Jan van Eyck, lived and worked in Bruges.
Reference number: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/996
Please upload at least one photo.