Jeruel Academy/Union Baptist Institute
N 33° 57.015 W 083° 22.960
17S E 279813 N 3759197
Quick Description: In Athens, Georgia, a marker bearing a brief history of a Negro school--founded in 1881 and dissolved in 1956 following desegregation.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 10/12/2005 5:29:09 PM
Waymark Code: WM2J5
This academy was founded in 1881 at Landrum Chapel (Ebenezer Baptist Church, West) by the Rev. Collins Henry Lyons. In 1886 a new facility was constructed at this site, now on the University of Georgia campus. Here black youth were taught college preparatory courses in English, Greek, Latin, French, history, mathematics, public speaking, agriculture, sewing, cooking, music and printing. In 1924 the school consolidated with three other institutions to become Union Baptist Institute. The institute was dissolved and the building demolished in 1956 following desegregation and consolidation of the local public school system.