Waccamaw River Warehouse Historic District - Conway, South Carolina
Posted by: BruceS
N 33° 50.011 W 079° 02.718
17S E 680877 N 3745415
Quick Description: Historic district encompassing warehouses along the Waccamaw River in Conway, South Carolina.
Location: South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 11/6/2007 9:04:24 AM
Waymark Code: WM2HK1
"These buildings illustrate the evolution of utilitarian structures at the end of the nineteenth century. The shift from heavy-timber braced-frame structural members to smaller-member, balloon framing with multiple diagonal bracing and the use of a clerestory for additional light is evidenced by this complex of three buildings. These warehouses are significant both architecturally and as the last extant warehouses in Conway associated with the commercial trade on the Waccamaw River, as well as with the impact of the railroad on that trade, which was vital to the local economy and was in large part responsible for the boom years from 1890 to 1930. The larger rectangular, one-and-one-half story warehouse directly on the river was built ca. 1880 as the terminal for the Waccamaw Line of Steamers operated by Burroughs and Collins, which ran on the river until 1919. The smaller rectangular waterfront warehouse approximately ninety feet upriver was built ca. 1890 as a warehouse and depot for the Conway Coast and Western Railroad, which was bought by Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1912. The large trapezoidal warehouse was built ca. 1900 as a tobacco warehouse for Burroughs and Collins and was subsequently used as a fertilizer warehouse. A fourth and smaller warehouse, located downriver from the steamer terminal, is no longer extant. Listed in the National Register August 5, 1986." ~
South Carolina Department
of Archives and History website
The buildings have been converted to meeting and social facilities however have retained their exterior appearances.