By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Former Site of Georgia Normal School & US Navy Supply Corps School (Clarke County)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ChapterhouseInc
N 33° 57.862 W 083° 24.162
17S E 277998 N 3760806
Quick Description: This is a 2 side marker. One side describes the uses of this site from 1860-1954 and the other side is about the US Navy Supply Corps School (moved here in 1954).
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 10/11/2005 5:21:24 PM
Waymark Code: WM2GB
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member snake1411
Views: 13

Long Description:
In February 1860 the University of Georgia purchased 93 acres surrounding this site and later sold all but 30 acres to finance the construction of Rock College, a preparatory school for the University of Georgia. Between 1862 and 1891 the school served the educational needs of Georgia in a variety of roles. In 1891 the Georgia General Assembly established the State Normal School on this site to train Georgians to be rural teachers. The nearby commercial area soon adopted the name "Normal Town." The oldest remaining academic building on campus, Winnie Davis Hall, was erected in 1902 as a memorial to the daughter of Jefferson Davis. In 1910 the Carnegie Library was erected with a grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Because of its historical and educational significance, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1929 the institution's name was changed to the Coordinate College. During WWII, the campus was used by the U.S. Army as a training site and after WWII the school was again occupied by women students attending the university. In 1953 the site was purchased by the U.S. Navy as a permanent location for its Supply Corps School. Commissioned on this site 15 January 1954, the U.S. Navy Supply Corps School is the "Home" of the Navy Supply Corps. At this school newly commissioned Navy Subbly Corps officers recieve basic training in leadership, retail operations, disbursing, food service, data processing, and intentory management to prepare them for their roles as "The Navy's Buisness Managers" afloat and ashore. The school also provides specialized advanced logistics training not only to U.S. Navy Personnel, but also to military officers from many foregin nations. Although the history of the Supply Corps dats back to 1795 it was not until 1921 that the first Supply Corps School opened in Washington, D.C. In 1924 the school was discontinued and reopened in 1934 as the Naval Finance and Supply School in Philadelphiam PA. In 1941 the school was merged into the Harvard University Graduate School of Buisness Administration. In 1945 the school was moved to Bayonne, NJ, where it operated until 1954 when it relocated to this site. Also located on this site is the Supply Corps Museum which depicts the history, heritage and traditions of the Supply Corps.
Type of Marker: Fort

Marker #: Not listed

Date: Not listed

Sponsor: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, yourself at the marker, your gps at the marker, or anything specific to the text on the marker. And don't forget to enjoy your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Georgia Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
ChapterhouseInc visited Former Site of Georgia Normal School & US Navy Supply Corps School (Clarke County) 1/1/1999 ChapterhouseInc visited it

View all visits/logs