St. Francis Mission at White Sulphur - Georgetown, KY
N 38° 12.434 W 084° 41.832
16S E 701622 N 4231315
Quick Description: St. Francis de Sales Church, est.1793, held the first Catholic Mass in Kentucky on Dec. 1, 1793. The rural church also claimed Fr. Stephen Theodore Badin the FIRST priest ordained in the United States, as its resident pastor until 1795.
Location: Kentucky, United States
Date Posted: 10/21/2007 8:21:19 PM
Waymark Code: WM2EX9
Second oldest Catholic Church West of the Alleghanies.
Saint Francis de Sales Church, also called St. Pius from 1820 to 1932, was established in 1793 by faithful Catholic pioneers migrating from political and religious strife in Maryland. The parishioners of St Francis celebrated the first mass in the State on Dec. 1, 1793. The rural church also claimed Fr. Stephen Theodore Badin the FIRST priest ordained in the United States, as its resident pastor until 1795.
During the early 1800's the Dominicans began the construction on the present simply designed church, which still serves the present-day congregation of St Francis. Reflecting older times, the kneelers still stretches across the front of the church and doors to the pews remain as symbols of bygone traditions of the church. At one time, the church fell in membership to as few as two families, but now more than 60 families call St. Francis home and faithfully attend Mass there. Weekly masses are held each Saturday evening. St. Francis is listed in the National Historical Record. The only Catholic cemetery in Scott County is located on the church property across the highway from the church. The St. Francis Cemetery dates back to the late 1790's and holds the remains of many of the early Catholic residents of the area. Also buried there is Revolutionary war soldier Bennett Greenwill. Two priests are buried there as well. Located in a separate gated section on the St. Francis lawn is a burial area for the nuns who served the churches and also for the remains of the nuns that were moved from the Cardome property when it was sold.
4086 Frankfort Pike
Georgetown, KY United States
County / Borough / Parish: Scott
Year listed: 1973
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Periods of significance: 1800-1824, 1825-1849, 1850-1874, 1875-1899
Historic function: Religion
Current function: Religion
Privately owned?: yes
Season start / Season finish: From: 1/1/2007 To: 12/31/2007
Hours of operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 5:00 PM
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.