By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Lappin-Hayes Block - Janesville, WI
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member onfire4jesus
N 42° 40.975 W 089° 01.358
16T E 334290 N 4727587
Quick Description: This Lappin-Hayes Block was built in 1855 and stands on the site of the Henry F. James cabin. It is located at 20 E. Milwaukee St in Janesville, WI. Arthur Peabody and William J. Beauley were the architects.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 10/19/2007 8:26:14 AM
Waymark Code: WM2E9M
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 28

Long Description:

From the University of Wisconsin Digital Collection:
"The Lappin-Hayes Block is the focal point of the Main and Milwaukee intersection, and it has sheltered a great variety of enterprises over its 130-year history. The block stands on the site of Henry F. Janes' cabin, one the first dwellings constructed in Rock County. In 1842, Thomas Lappin erected a two-story store on this site. Thirteen years later he completed this four-story office block, a handsome Italianate style structure of cream-colored brick. Its details are typical of the Italianate blocks built in Janesville between 1855 and 1870. Particularly notable are the upper story windows; the window heads are treated differently at each story.

The original Lappin Block housed five ground-level stores leased by grocers, banks, and merchants, and upper story offices occupied by attorneys, real estate dealers, physicians, an architect, and other professionals. An early tenant was the Mutual Life Insurance Company, known today as the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company. A public hall seating 800 persons occupied the upper stories, and a saloon was housed in the basement. Until 1870, when the Myers Opera House was opened, Lappin's Hall was the center of the city's cultural and social life.

In 1899, the building was purchased by Dennis and Michael Hayes, Janesville contractors. Their remodeling included the installation of an elevator and the construction of a new central lightwell. Exterior additions to the buildings included a Queen Anne style sheet metal cornice and two pressed-metal rounded bays at the corners. Much of the original 1855 building above the first floor was unaltered. Over the next seventy years, the building continued to house the offices of many prominent professionals."

Street address:
20 E Milwaukee St
Janesville, WI USA
53545


County / Borough / Parish: Rock

Year listed: 1976

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event: Architect: Peabody & Beauley: Style: Italianate

Periods of significance: 1850-1874, 1875-1899

Historic function: Commerce/Trade, Recreation And Culture: Auditorium, Business, Professional

Current function: Commerce/Trade: Business, Specialty Store

Privately owned?: yes

Hours of operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 5:00 PM

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
onfire4jesus visited Lappin-Hayes Block - Janesville, WI 10/6/2007 onfire4jesus visited it

View all visits/logs