Hull, Warren, House - Lancaster, NY
Posted by: Rayman
N 42° 56.687 W 078° 37.360
17T E 693950 N 4757425
Quick Description: The Warren Hull House was built by a Revolutionary War veteran while the Western New York region was being planned out.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 10/17/2007 7:00:05 PM
Waymark Code: WM2DX2
The Warren Hull House is architecturally and historically significant as an extremely rare example of early 19th century architecture in Western New York. Built circa 1810 by Warren Hull, one of Erie County's earliest pioneers, the house embodies the distinctive characteristics of Federal style architecture. The NRHP listing also includes the family burial plot in the rear of the property.
Warren Hull was one of the earliest pioneers to settle the Lancaster area. Hull was a Revolutionary War veteran from Connecticut who came to settle on his farm in 1804. He obtained a contract to clear and improve a piece of land from Joseph Ellicott, who was in charge of layout out towns and roads for the Holland Land Company. In October 1814 Hull acquired full title to the property.
Two years after Hull's death in 1838, his 347 acre farm was subdivided among his 12 offspring. The oldest daughter inherited the 57 acre portion containing the house, farm, and family cemetery plot. In 1849, she sold the property to her brother-in-law, who in 1857 sold the land, minus the burial plots, to John Winspear. In 1867, Winspear sold it to the Bergtold family. It was either the Winspear's or Bergtold's who "modernized" the house by replacing the stepped gable roof with a standard gable roof with broad eaves and stuccoed the exterior. The side wing was expanded and altered during the late 1860s.
Currently the house is undergoing extensive renovations in order to return it to its original design in the mid 1800s.
5976 Genesee St
Lancaster, NY United States
County / Borough / Parish: Erie
Year listed: 1992
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
Periods of significance: 1800-1824, 1825-1849, 1850-1874
Historic function: Agriculture/Subsistence, Domestic, Funerary: Animal Facility, Cemetery, Single Dwelling
Current function: Agriculture/Subsistence, Domestic, Funerary: Animal Facility, Cemetery, Single Dwelling
Privately owned?: yes
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Hours of operation: Not listed
Secondary Website 1: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.