Camp Ellis - Ipava, IL
N 40° 22.976 W 090° 21.709
15T E 723944 N 4473601
Quick Description: This camp was built to house POWs and to train American Soldiers.
Location: Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 10/16/2007 7:22:51 PM
Waymark Code: WM2DMT
In less than 6 months, thousands of buildings were constructed and the camp was opened one month ahead of schedule. On April 15, 1943, the gates were opened.
Austrians forced into the German army and German prisoners of war totaling almost 5000 were to be held in this camp. American forces were also trained here. Training included medical, combat, quartermaster, and engineering.
In November, 1944 the training was terminated or greatly reduced. In 1950 the camp returned to individual ownership. Nothing remains today except a couple POW Barracks, water towers and part of the rifle range. Officials stated that Camp Ellis was one of the best POW camps in the country.