By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Buffalo Masonic Consistory - Buffalo, NY
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Rayman
N 42° 54.986 W 078° 52.142
17T E 673930 N 4753737
Quick Description: The Buffalo Masonic Consistory was originally built as a residence for a prominent local businessman, and is now used as classrooms for a Buffalo Catholic high school.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 10/14/2007 7:37:46 PM
Waymark Code: WM2D5Z
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 122

Long Description:
The following is an excerpt from New York: A Guide to the Empire State in the Buffalo points of interest section:
The BUFFALO MASONIC CONSISTORY, 1180 Delaware Ave., dedicated in 1925, has four connecting units; Harold J. Cook was the architect. The three front units of graystone are designed in the Tudor Gothic style, with gables, steep green slate roofs, chimney pots, and mullioned windows. The main entrance is designed in the early English Renaissance style. The interior of the lobby, of marble in rich. black and gold, is embellished with Greek Doric columns. A marble staircase leads to the ballroom, Renaissance in treatment, with wall panels depicting the history of the dance. The auditorium is designed in the neoclassic style; the ceiling is elaborately illuminated to produce stellar effects. A series of upper side wall treatments in the architectural orders, with paintings and ornaments, symbolize the principal Masonic steps to the thirty-third degree.
The Buffalo Consistory building was originally intended to be used as the private residence of George F. Rand II, president of Marine Midland Bank. However he and his wife died before construction was completed. George F. Rand III, chairman and founder of Rand Capital Corp, completed the building in 1921, and he moved in with his siblings.

The building was sold to the Masons in 1925 who converted it to the Buffalo Consistory. They added a large foyer, turkish baths, bowling alleys, locker rooms and large auditorium to the building for their use. The Jesuits bought the building in 1944 from the Masons for $92,000. Today the building is still used as classrooms for Canisius High School and is known as Berchmans' Hall.
Book: New York

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 220

Year Originally Published: 1940

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.