Lovejoy and Merrill-Nowlan Houses - Janesville, WI
N 42° 40.933 W 089° 01.122
16T E 334610 N 4727502
Quick Description: These two houses are part of the Courthouse Hill Historic District, but are also listed on the National Register in their own right. They are located at 220 and 202 Lawrence Ave in Janesville Wisconsin.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 10/12/2007 11:05:56 AM
Waymark Code: WM2CKA
From the University of Wisconsin Digital Collection:
"Allen P. Lovejoy (1825-1904), who arrived in Janesville in 1850,
was president of the Harris Machine Company, the parent firm
of Janesville Machine which was later sold to General Motors.
His picturesque cream brick and frame house was originally
painted in the dark polychrome colors characteristic of early
Queen Anne style houses. Ornamental detail includes paneling,
shingles, and siding combined in the main gable; bargeboards
and brackets are decorated with tooled motifs.
The building which houses the YMCA today [Editor's note: This building no longer houses the YWCA] was built by Allen P.
Lovejoy following his marriage to Julia Stow in 1880. After an
extensive European honeymoon, they returned to Janesville and
lived at the Myers Hotel and later on Prospect Avenue while this
house was built. Lovejoy, a former carpenter, kept a watchful eye
on the construction of the house. It is said that he sat on a camp
stool observing the construction to ensure that everything was
built according to his specifications. Lovejoy became a bank
director, Janesville Mayor (1881) and State Senator (1887-1889)
in addition to following his manufacturing interests. He died in
1904; Mrs. Lovejoy resided here until her death in 1953. She was
one of a group of local women who established the first hospital.
She founded the first kindergarten in the city, and was also active
in the campaign for womens' suffrage.
An Italianate Style frame house still exists under this Classical
Revival building. The rebuilding into two spacious apartments was
finished in 1904. The temple-front portico of the new design is
carried by fluted Ionic columns. A prominent Palladian window in
the central gable lights the attic. Merrill (1829-1908) founded the gas company in Janesville and served as Mayor in 1874."