The Old Roane County Courthouse - Kingston, Tennessee
N 35° 52.330 W 084° 30.961
16S E 724258 N 3972619
Quick Description: This is the Old Roane County Courthouse in Kingston Tennessee.
Location: Tennessee, United States
Date Posted: 10/11/2007 6:57:11 PM
Waymark Code: WM2CG8
The Old Roane County Court House was built during the 1854 - 1855 time period by architect Augustus Fisher and designer Fredrick B. Guenther, using native lumber and bricks made on the site by slaves. It is of combined Greek Revivalist and Federalist style. No nails were used in the original structure. The old courthouse is one of six antebellum courthouses remaining in Tennessee. The building was the active courthouse of Roane County until 1974 when the new courthouse was completed and the old courthouse was deeded to the Roane County Heritage Commission.
The building was used in the civil war by both confederates and union as a hospital. Graffiti can be found on the walls written by soldiers who were hospitalized here.
Year Built: 1854-1855
Current Use of Building: Museum
Level of Courts: County
Architect: Architect Augustus Fisher and Designer Fredrick B. Guenther
Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1855-1974
119 Court St.
Kingston, TN 37763
Related Website: [Web Link]
Hours: Not listed
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.