Pickaway County Courthouse - Circleville, OH
Posted by: silverquill
N 39° 36.036 W 082° 56.758
17S E 332923 N 4385238
Quick Description: The Pickaway County Courthouse, in substantially its current form, was completed in 1889, located in Circleville, Ohio.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 10/1/2007 4:07:00 PM
Waymark Code: WM2ABN
The building of the Court House at the corner of Court and Franklin streets was commenced in the fall of 1845. The contract for the brick work was let on the 16th of September, 1845, by the commissioners to Jacob Strickler, at $5.40 per thousand "to be counted in the walls and no deductions for openings," and the same day a contract was made with Joseph Kinnear for the delivery of the lumber at 80 cents per thousand feet, inch measure.
The building was 45 feet in width by 105 feet in length, with large columns in front, surmounted by a tower ; the basement was constructed for the county jail. The entire building was completed in 1847. The total cost was $45,000. N. B. Kelly, of Columbus, was the architect and superintendent of construction.
The offices in the building not being large enough for the increasing business, and the jail in the basement having been repeatedly condemned by the grand jury, the commissioners, in 1887: by authority of an act of the General Assembly, passed May 4, 1885, decided to remodel the Court House and build a jail and jailer's residence. On the 2nd of February, 1888, the contract for the improvements was awarded to Doerzbach & Decker, of Sandusky, Ohio, their bid of $104,420 for the entire work being the lowest.
The contractors began the work early in the spring. The corner-stone of the improved Court House was laid June 21, 1888, with Masonic ceremonies. The Court House was enlarged by the addition of two wings, and was made a commodious, substantial structure with abundant light and excellent ventilation, convenient in every way for the business of the people. Both buildings were completed in the latter part of 1889, and accepted by the commissioners January 4, 1890.
Year Built: 1889
Current Use of Building: County Courthouse
Level of Courts: County
Architect: N. B. Kelly
Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1847-present
207 S. Court St.
Circleville, OH 43113
Related Website: [Web Link]
Hours: Not listed
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.