Posted by: biomap
N 39° 33.210 W 086° 16.480
16S E 562315 N 4378453
Quick Description: The Whetzel Trace, the first east-west road in central Indiana, terminated nearby at the bluffs of the White River near Waverly.
Location: Indiana, United States
Date Posted: 9/29/2007 2:17:30 PM
Waymark Code: WM29WV
In 1817 Jacob Whetzel surveyed a trail from his home on the Whitewater River (Franklin County) to a tract of land he had purchased on the White River. To avoid a long and ardous water route, he resolved to cut a trace across the Indian lands, a distance of over sixty miles through a dense forest. The trace, completed in 1818, ran about seven miles below the present site of Rushville, four miles above Shelbyville, and a little north of Boggstown. The road soon became known as "Whetzel’s Trace." The trace proved to be of great importance in the settlement of Marion, Johnson, Morgan, and Shelby counties.
Year Placed: 1957
Name: Whetzel Trace
Post a photo of: the marker in relation to its surroundings, other details of the site, you or a team member at the location, etc.