Marchetti, Louis, House - Wausau, WI
N 44° 57.748 W 089° 37.741
16T E 292657 N 4982143
Quick Description: Louis Marchetti was a prominent judge and attorney in Wausau. His house is located at 111 Grant St.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 9/24/2007 5:58:51 AM
Waymark Code: WM28WP
This house was designed by architect John Dern.
From the book Wausau in 1900 (pg. 93):
"Mr. Marchetti is the senior member of the firm of Marchetti & Bump, attourneys at law. He was born in Vienna, Austria, Jan. 21, 1846, and came to Wausau in 1867. He was for a time handicapped because he did not speak English, but his studiousness and perseverance soon overcame that. After working in the mills and on the river for three years he taught school for four terms, then accepted a position as bookkeeper for John Schneider, resigning after alittle while to accept the appointment by the council as street commissioner. With his characteristic vigor he took charge of the work and won the approbation of all because of the results accomplished. In 1874 he was elected clerk of the circuit court and served two terms, then was called to the office of municipal judge in 1877, then just created, resigning his other office to accept. This he held until 1895, when, having been admitted to the bar, he resigned to become a member of the law firm of Bardeen & Mylrea. Later the firm became Mylrea, Marchetti & Bird, from which Mr. Marchetti retired last spring, and soon thereafter he formed a copartnership with Franklin E. Bump under the firm name of Marchetti & Bump. In 1893 Mr. Marchetti was appointed register of the land office by President Cleveland and served four years. He also held the office of county judge from 1881 to 1893."