By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

The Arlington Mill
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member theroths3
N 38° 51.390 W 077° 06.598
18S E 316916 N 4302967
Quick Description: Mills along Four Mile Run
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 9/21/2007 2:21:33 PM
Waymark Code: WM28BB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member tiki-4
Views: 40

Long Description:
The land along Four Mile Run in this area belonged to George Washington and was known as Washingon Forest. Later it became part of the Arlington Estate. the Columbian Turnpike was built through here in 1808 to link the Long Bridge at Washington with the Little River Turnpike to the west. In 1836 G.W.P. Custis built a grist mill here where the turnpike crossed Four Mill Run. It was destoryed during the Civil War (as the supposed property of R. E. Lee), but was rebuilt in 1880, continued in operation until 1906 and was destroyed by fire in 1920.
Marker Number: 28

Marker Title: The Arlington Mill

Marker Location: Columbia Pike westbound

County or Independent City: Arlington

Web Site: [Web Link]

Marker Program Sponsor: Erected by Arlington County Virginia 1949

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Virginia Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
SrchNResQ visited The Arlington Mill 11/29/2009 SrchNResQ visited it
theroths3 visited The Arlington Mill 9/19/2007 theroths3 visited it

View all visits/logs