Fulton Public Library - Fulton, NY
Posted by: PTCRAZY
N 43° 19.177 W 076° 24.965
18T E 385176 N 4797282
Quick Description: This is the Fulton Public Library, located in downtown Fulton, New York.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 9/14/2007 9:23:24 PM
Waymark Code: WM2707
Originally supported as a free library through public subscriptions and grants, the Fulton Public Library was Chartered in 1895 by the New York State Education Department. It was housed in the old Fourth Street High School and contained books from the High School and Falley Seminary and was used by students only.
In November 1898 it moved to a room in the Phillips Block at #7 South First Street (above the W.J. Watson drug store). The long, narrow second floor room was lined with bookshelves and scattered with potted plants and had large windows at each end. Mrs. Helen Emens served as librarian. The library was free to the public; children were allowed to borrow one book a week. The collection numbered over 4,000 books in 1900, and circulated around 25,000 books in the same year.
In 1902, after many requests, a letter received from Andrew Carnegie said if the city would find a suitable site and pledge at least $1,500 a year, he would donate $15,000 for the building. Finally, a 120' by 50' site next to the river at 160 South First Street was agreed upon. Syracuse architects and D. E. Wadsworth, a local construction firm, built it.
An old stone building which had been housing for canal workers was demolished, with the stone being used for the library's foundation. Stone from this abandoned quarry was also used in the construction of Auburn Prison. Cornerstone laying took place in June 1905; Mrs. Emens directed moving and opening in February 1906. A gentleman named Marlon H. Brando, not the actor, also assisted with the library. The building was made of native stone, Gouverneur marble, litholite, and brick, with a slate roof. The interior woodwork is quartered oak with oak and tile floors.
The Carnegie Building was designated an Oswego County Historical Landmark in 1985, and was added to the State and National Registers of Historic Places in 1999.
160 South 1st Street
Fulton, NY USA
County / Borough / Parish: Oswego
Year listed: 1999
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/engineering
Periods of significance: 1900-1924
Historic function: Education/Library
Current function: Education/Library
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]
Privately owned?: Not Listed
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Hours of operation: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.