Liberty County Courthouse - Hinesville, GA
N 31° 50.865 W 081° 35.735
17R E 443650 N 3523714
Quick Description: The Liberty County Courthouse was built in 1926 and is listed on the National Register of Historical Places.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 8/31/2007 11:15:58 AM
Waymark Code: WM241R
From an University of Georgia
"Following its creation, Liberty County went many years without a courthouse. In 1791, the legislature named commissioners to construct a courthouse and jail in Sunbury, but apparently no courthouse was built. Six years later, the legislature moved the county seat from Sunbury to Riceborough. An 1836 act moving the county seat from Riceborough to a site known as the General Parade Ground authorized the sale of the jail at Riceborough but made no mention of a courthouse. Jordan and Puster indicate that the first known courthouse was a wooden structure built in 1849. They record that this building was replaced by a second courthouse built in 1867. The present two-story brick courthouse was built in 1926, with extensive wings added in 1965."