First Presbyterian Church - Coldwater, MI
N 41° 56.516 W 085° 00.015
16T E 665768 N 4645263
Quick Description: First Presbyterian Church in Coldwater. 52 Marshall St., slightly north of M-12. Parking nearby.
Location: Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 8/23/2007 4:55:13 AM
Waymark Code: WM227G
Organized in 1837, the same year that Coldwater became a village, the local Presbyterian society held services in various quarters until 1844 when it erected its first church. It completed the present Romanesque Revival style brick church in 1869 at a cost of $40,104. The 185-foot steeple, one of the highest in southern Michigan and the chief landmark of the city, was made possible by a gift from S.M. Seely. The Meneely bell came from West Troy, New York, in 1853. In early times, the church often served as a lecture and concert hall. Sojourner Truth, former slave and early women's rights activist, spoke here in 1877. The church building is now the oldest in the city still in use by its original denomination. In 1986 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Placesand is also a Michigan Historical Marker.
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 01/01/1869
Age of Church building determined by?: Historical Society
If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Presbyterian
If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Sunday
Street address of Church:
52 Marshall St
Coldwater, Michigan USA
If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed
Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed
Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed
Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.
2) Please share some comments about your visit.
3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.