Lewis R. Slaton Courthouse - Fulton Co., GA
Posted by: Lat34North
N 33° 45.067 W 084° 23.450
16S E 741683 N 3737619
Quick Description: The Fulton County Courthouse was completed in 1914 at a cost of $1,250,000, Fulton County had Georgia's first million-dollar courthouse. It was also the largest, surpassing in square footage even the Georgia state capitol.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 8/15/2007 10:56:15 AM
Waymark Code: WM20HK
The Fulton County Courthouse was completed in 1914 at a cost of $1,250,000, Fulton County had Georgia's first million-dollar courthouse. It was also the largest, surpassing in square footage even the Georgia state capitol.
The courthouse was designed by A. Ten Eyck Brown (Morgan & Dillion, associate architects) and built in the Neoclassical Revival/Beaux Arts Classicism style. Due to Fulton County's growing population by the 1960s additional facilities were needed for the county's government. The courthouse occupied half of a square block, so a new six-story Fulton County Administration Building was built behind it to house county agencies, officials, and the Fulton County Commission. By the 1980s, however, county government had outgrown existing facilities, so in 1986 work began on a new Fulton County Government Center -- a large complex across the street from the entrance of the courthouse. Completed in 1989, this became the home for Fulton County administrative and legislative offices. In the mid-1990s, the old Administration Building was torn down and replaced by the nine-story Fulton County Justice Center Tower.
Year Built: 1911-14
Current Use of Building: Fulton County administrative and legislative offices
Level of Courts: County
Architect: Neoclassical Revival/Beaux Arts Classicism
Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1914-1989
141 Pryor St. S.W.
Atlanta, GA 30301
Related Website: [Web Link]
Hours: Not listed
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.