By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

John North House
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Sneakin Deacon
N 37° 48.131 W 080° 26.893
17S E 548575 N 4184010
Quick Description: The John North House was built in 1820 and was the home to the Clerk of the Greenbrier Court.
Location: West Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 8/8/2007 6:28:35 PM
Waymark Code: WM1ZD6
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 6

Long Description:
The John A. North house was built in 1820 and became the home of clerk of the Greenbrier District Court of Virginia. About 10-years after it was built this building was used as a tavern along the Midland Trail, which was the primary route from the western frontier to Richmond.

John North was the third generation of his family to live in America, and lived in Virginia’s Western Frontier all of his life. In 1818 he was appointed clerk of the court and settled in Lewisburg, where the Greenbrier Chancery Court was located. He built this house in 1820 and lived there until about 1830 when he sold the home to James M. Frazier who converted the building to and ordinary, which became known as “Star Tavern.” The tavern’s business prospered in large part to the improved roads that made visiting the nearby mineral springs easier for those in eastern Virginia. During this period Star Tavern made a nice profit due in large part to the popularity of White Sulphur Springs and the Sweet Springs Resorts. The Tavern was also popular with local resident, especially those residents associated with the Court and legal profession.

During the Civil War, this building along with the nearby Old Stone Church was used as a hospital. Following the War James Frazier died and his estate was settled in 1871. The property passed to Joseph McPherson live her until 1905 when the building became part of the Lewisburg Seminary and Conservatory of Music. The building remained associated with the conservatory until 1972 when it was purchased by the Town of Lewisburg and Greenbrier County and is today preserved as the North House Museum
Street address:
100 Church Street
Lewisburg, WV United States
24901


County / Borough / Parish: Greenbrier County

Year listed: 1974

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Person, Architecture

Periods of significance: 1800-1849

Historic function: Private Residence. Taven, Hotel

Current function: Domestic, Single Dwelling

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Privately owned?: Not Listed

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.