Cark Airfield, Flookburgh, Cumbria
N 54° 09.841 W 002° 57.885
30U E 502301 N 6001771
Quick Description: RAF Cark was used as a gunnery school and glider pilot training centre. Now a private airstrip. Host to annual Lakeland Steam gathering and North West parachute centre.
Location: Northwest England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/30/2007 11:46:38 AM
Waymark Code: WM1XZ6
The airfield was constructed as a standard fighter station at the beginning of the Second World War, but was used for Anti Aircraft gunnery training with aircraft such as the Fairey Battle and Avro Anson. Morecambe Bay beyond was studded with concrete anti-glider stakes as part of Britain's anti-invasion measures. During this war, the requisitioned Lakes Gliding Club were moved here from Walney airfield, to form 188 Gliding School, Air Training Corps.
Cark was a wartime fighter aerodrome, opening in 1941. Once the threat of invasion had receded, it was used for Flying Training Command, and as a staff Pilot Training Unit. What we know today as the RAF Mountain Rescue came here in 1944 from around the corner at RAF Millom, seeking out those aircraft which had crashed on the lakeland fells. The M.R.U started life in 1942, moving when flying training ceased.
Cark closed when WW2 ended in 1945, but re-opened later for private use. There is a cantilever concrete "mushroom" pill-box, which stands in the south-east corner of the aerodrome. Designed for all-round (360°) fire, it was designed by the F. C. Construction Company, Ltd., and was a feature of many aerodromes. N 054 09.553 W 002 57.125
Concrete and tarmac apron and runway. Control tower now a private residence. RAF huts now workshops.
See adjacent waymark for pre-WW2 history.
RAF Cark pictures (visit link
North West Parachute Centre (visit link
Airfield Technical info+photos (visit link
Annual Steam Gathering (visit link
Horse Riding on airfield (visit link
Lakes Gliding club prior user (visit link
Kendal Model Aero Club occasional use airfield (visit link