Convent of Mafra - Mafra, Portugal
N 38° 56.212 W 009° 19.630
29S E 471644 N 4309821
Quick Description: The commonly called «Mafra Convent» includes the Palace, the Monastery, the Library and the Basilica. The monument was built due to a promise made by king João V so that the queen, Mary of Austria, would give him a male heir.
Date Posted: 7/17/2007 3:02:32 AM
Waymark Code: WM1VZJ
The Mafra National Palace is a monumental Baroque and Italianized Neoclassical palace-monastery located in Mafra, Portugal. Its dimensions are so huge that it dwarfs the city.
The palace, which also served as a Franciscan monastery, was built during the reign of King John V (1707-1750), in consequence of a vow made by the king in 1711, who promised to build a convent if his wife, the Queen Mary Anne of Austria, gave him descendants. The birth of his first daughter, the princess Barbara of Braganza, made the king initiate the construction of the palace.
This vast complex is among the most sumptuous Baroque buildings in Portugal. The palace was built symmetrically from a central axis, occupied by the basilica, and continues lengthwise through the main façade until two major towers. The structures of the convent are located behind the main façade. The building also includes a major library, with about 40,000 rare books.
The basilica is decorated with several Italian statues and includes six historical pipe organs and two carillons, composed of 92 bells.
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Convento de Mafra
Convento de Mafra
Mafra, Mafra Portugal
Religious affiliation: Catholic, Franciscan
Date founded/constructed: 1730
Web Site: [Web Link]
Status of Use: Acitvely Used
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.