Founders Cemetery, Roswell, Ga.
Posted by: Lat34North
N 34° 00.861 W 084° 21.363
16S E 744154 N 3766899
Quick Description: Founders Cemetery 1840-1860, contains 23 marked graves of some first families of Roswell and their slaves.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 7/13/2007 3:43:15 PM
Waymark Code: WM1VFX
Long Description: Founders Cemetery
This cemetery, the first burying ground of the village from 1840 to 1860. Among the distinguished dead who rest here are Roswell’s founder, Roswell King; Major James Stephens Bulloch, grandfather of president Theodore Roosevelt and grandson of Archibald Bulloch, first president of Georgia; and John Dunwoody, Esq., builder of Mimosa Hall and his wife, Jane Bulloch Dunwoody.
An outbreak of scarlet fever in 1841 resulted in the death of many children; among them was Charles Irving Bulloch, infant son of Major and Mrs. James Stephens Bulloch. Another child buried here was three-year-old Ralph King Hand, son of the widowed daughter of Roswell King, Eliza Hand, for whom the first permanent home in Roswell was build, Primrose Cottage.
Slaves of the families were also buried in Founders’ Cemetery, there are many unmarked graves, the last burial was May 18, 1860 – James A. Burney, the only son of Dr. and Mrs. P.J. Burney.
This historic marker was erected in the year 1977 by Roswell Woman’s Club.
From the sign located next to the steps leading up to the cemetery.
The original burial ground once associated with Roswell Presbyterian Church contained 23 marked graves of some first families of Roswell and their slaves. The first burial was that of Charles Irvine Bulloch, aged 2 years, who died of scarlet fever during an outbreak in Roswell in summer of 1841. Town founder Roswell King dies February 15, 1844 and lies beneath a monument erected in his memory by his children. Flagstones identify 65 graves discovered in 1984 during a geophysical survey of the cemetery.
Roswell Historical Society
Located at the end of Sloan Street, Roswell, Ga.