Wapello County Courthouse, Ottumwa, Iowa
Posted by: NevaP
N 41° 01.194 W 092° 24.679
15T E 549494 N 4541133
Quick Description: Wapello County's Courthouse was Built in 1892.
Location: Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 7/8/2007 5:34:21 PM
Waymark Code: WM1TPM
This five story, rough cut sandstone building in Ottumwa, Iowa is the fourth courthouse to serve Wapello County. It originally had a corner clock tower and several large chimneys. To relieve stress and preserve the building these were removed, along with 450 tons of bricks, in 1950.
A statue of Chief Wapello stands atop the Courthouse. The building was placed on the National Historical Register in 1981.
Year Built: 1892-1894
Current Use of Building: Courthouse
Level of Courts: County
Architect: C. Stanfford
Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1894-present
101 West Fourth Street
Ottumwa, Iowa 52501
Related Website: [Web Link]
Hours: Not listed
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.