By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Maramec Iron Works - St. James, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 37° 57.335 W 091° 32.045
15S E 628784 N 4201900
Quick Description: Iron furnace located in Maramec Springs Park south of St James, Missouri
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 6/17/2007 7:31:52 PM
Waymark Code: WM1PPY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 149

Long Description:

Maramec Iron Works

Maramec Iron Works was the first successful iron works west of the Mississippi, the company was started by Thomas James and Samuel Massey from Ohio. The original furnace was constructed between 1826 and 1827. The current furnace was constructed in 1857. The location was nearly ideal for the production of iron. The ore deposit has a high concentration of iron, the spring provided water power to run the mill and there was abundant timber in the area to fuel the furnace. The major difficulty facing the mill was its remoteness from markets and the lack of transportation. The furnace was operated twenty-four hours a day seven days a week by men on twelve hour shifts. They charged the furnace nearly 100 times per day, with each charging consisting of 640 pounds of iron ore, 18 bushels of charcoal, one bushel of brands (half charred wood) and 100 pounds of limestone flux all dumped in, in' alternating layers.
During the Civil War the iron works created canon balls for the North and by this time the rail roads had extended service to St James thus easing the transportation problems. The iron works continue production until 1876 when poor business decisions and an economic downturn caused the business to go bankrupt. For a more comprehensive history of the Maramec Iron Works (visit link).

The Maramec Iron Works was awarded landmark status by  ASM International in 1987

The furnace is located in Maramec Springs Park operated by the James Foundation. It is known as one of Missouri's trout parks. There is a $3.00 admission into the park per vehicle. For more information on the park (visit link)

For more more information on the James Foundation and family (visit link)

 

Location:
Maramec Springs Park St. James, Missouri


Type of structure/site: Iron furnace

Date of Construction: First furnace 1827 current furnace 1857

Engineer/Architect/Builder etc.: Thomas James

Engineering Organization Listing: ASM International

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
The listed coordinates for this waymark must be personally visited.

Please submit at least one ORIGINAL PHOTO of the structure, preferably one showing a different aspect, angle, season, etc. from the original waymark.

Give the DATE of your visit and any comments or additional information that will help other visitors enjoy this site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Engineering Landmarks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
kJfishman visited Maramec Iron Works - St. James, Missouri 10/8/2011 kJfishman visited it
Queens Blessing visited Maramec Iron Works - St. James, Missouri 11/6/2008 Queens Blessing visited it

View all visits/logs