Dole House - Lockport, NY
Posted by: Rayman
N 43° 10.196 W 078° 41.839
17T E 687172 N 4782259
Quick Description: The Dole House is one of several of the Stone Buildings of Lockport, New York.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 6/17/2007 4:51:26 PM
Waymark Code: WM1PNN
The Dole House is significant as an example of Lockport's 19th century domestic stone architecture. Although remodeled in the late 1800s, the house retains much of its original architectural character including its three-bay front gable massing, narrow course quarry face ashlar facade, and finely molded Federal cornice. These characteristics are all typical of stone houses built in Lockport during the 1830s and 1840s.
Isaac Dole moved to Lockport in 1833 from New Hampshire with his wife Hannah and son Daniel. Dole purchased this property in 1835 and built the house between 1835 and 1845. Upon his arrival, Dole began a business operating a line of stages providing service from Lockport to Buffalo and Rochester. Isaac died in 1851 at the age of 63. After his death, the stage line was continued by his son Daniel E. Dole until competitions from railroads made stage lines unprofitable. In 1852, the house was conveyed by Hannah, Daniel and his wife Mary to Sophia Dole Tucker, Isaac and Hannah's daughter. Sophia married William C. Tucker, a partner in Tucker, James and Brim Cabinet Makers and Dealers. Hannah died in 1873 at the age of 83.
In 1881, Sophia transferred the family home to her two daughters, Sarah and Mary. By 1898, the sisters sold the property to Allen M. Moore, their cousin and a grandson of Daniel Dole. Moore made several improvements to the house, including the addition of the front porch. He lived in the house until his death in 1929. His widow, Grace, occupied the house until the property was foreclosed in 1932. The house was then sold to Clarence and Elizabeth Reynolds.
74 Niagara St
Lockport, NY United States
County / Borough / Parish: Niagara
Year listed: 2003
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Periods of significance: 1825-1849, 1850-1874, 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Historic function: Domestic: Single Dwelling
Current function: Domestic: Single Dwelling
Privately owned?: yes
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Hours of operation: Not listed
Secondary Website 1: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.