White-Pound House - Lockport, NY
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Rayman
N 43° 10.008 W 078° 41.496
17T E 687647 N 4781924
Quick Description: The White-Pound House is one of several of the Stone Buildings of Lockport, NY.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 6/17/2007 3:30:57 PM
Waymark Code: WM1PN3
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 30

Long Description:
The White-Pound House is significant as an important example of Lockport's mid 19th century domestic architecture. Originally built in 1835, the White-Pound House was remodeled several times after it was built. The entrance porch, broadly projecting eaves and exterior decorative elements added to the house represent the Italiante style of architecture that was one of the most popular styles during the third quarter of the 19th century.

During the first 13 years of the house's existence, the title was transferred many times. After 1848, Charles Schulz and his wife Sofia sold the house for $1000 to Robert and Martha White, and remained in that family for 125 years.

Robert White moved to Lockport from Washington County, New York in 1836 and worked as a clerk for Wilkinson & McMaster. In 1842, he entered a partnership with Summer Ballou to open his own grocery business. In 1851, White bought out Ballou's portion of the business and entered a new partnership with James U. Hamilton, which lasted until 1864. At that time, White sold his interest to Hamilton. White died a year later of "spasmodic croup", leaving his widow and three children.

Martha White occupied the house until her death in 1910. The house was left to her daughter Mary, who made it her lifelong residence. After Mary's death in 1940, the house was rented by the legatees from Martha's will.

In 1948, the title was transferred to Donna Coates Pound. Pound's husband was Alexander White, a grandson of Robert and Martha White. Donna moved into the house after her husband died and remained in the house until 1972. After her death, the house was sold outside the family.
Street address:
140 Pine St
Lockport, NY United States
14094


County / Borough / Parish: Niagara

Year listed: 2003

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1825-1849, 1850-1874, 1875-1899

Historic function: Domestic: Single Dwelling

Current function: Domestic: Single Dwelling

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 1: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.