Paddock Viaduct - Fort Worth, TX
Posted by: QuesterMark
N 32° 45.493 W 097° 20.039
14S E 656064 N 3625711
Quick Description: The first reinforced concrete arch bridge in the United States to use self-supporting reinforcing steel, this bridge crosses the Trinity River just north of the Tarrant County Courthouse.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 6/17/2007 9:55:18 AM
Waymark Code: WM1PKT
Originally, low-water crossings and ferries originally connected the downtown area of Fort Worth with northern sections of the city. A two-lane suspension bridge, constructed near this site in the 1890s, proved inadequate for the growing population. This span, designed by the St. Louis firm of Brenneke and Fay, was built in 1914.
The bridge is named in honor of B.B. Paddock, former State Legislator and Mayor of the City.
The Texas Section of the ASCE declared this bridge to be a Texas Civil Engineering Landmark in 1976.
The Tarrant County Courthouse is at 100 E Weatherford St. The Courthouse "Square" is the breakpoint between South Main St and North Main St. The Bridge (North Main St) is just behind the Courthouse, across Paddock Park from 100 E Belknap St (the road behind the courthouse).
Type of structure/site: Bridge
Date of Construction: 1914
Engineer/Architect/Builder etc.: Brenneke and Fay, Consulting Engineers & Hannah, Hickey Bros. Construction, both St. Louis
Engineering Organization Listing: Other (specify in description)
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Secondary Web Site: [Web Link]
The listed coordinates for this waymark must be personally visited.
Please submit at least one ORIGINAL PHOTO of the structure, preferably one showing a different aspect, angle, season, etc. from the original waymark.
Give the DATE of your visit and any comments or additional information that will help other visitors enjoy this site.