Oliver, Thomas, House - Lockport, NY
Posted by: Rayman
N 43° 09.945 W 078° 41.286
17T E 687935 N 4781815
Quick Description: The Oliver Thomas House, also known as Locust Haven, was the home of a previous mayor and industrialist of Lockport, NY.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 6/16/2007 4:20:37 PM
Waymark Code: WM1PFW
The Thomas Oliver House is architecturally significant as a representative example of Queen Anne residential architecture in Lockport. This style originated in England in the 1860s. In this country, variations of the style is gained widespread acceptance during the last two decades of the 19th century. Features of the style include steeply pitched hipped roofs with cross gables, asymmetrical facade, Queen Anne windows, projecting pavilions, recessed porch and spindle ornamentation.
Thomas Oliver and his brothers migrated to Lockport in 1887 from Saratoga County. For the first 14 years, Oliver and his family lived on High Street, and his first business success started with the manufacture of cider using a single press. A new stone mill was built in 1880 by Thomas and his brothers that consisted of five large presses. They made up to 35,000 barrels of cider a year from the apple orchards in the area. However in 1893, the cider business was converted into the Oliver Brothers Brass Bedstead Manufacturing Company. The company became one of Lockport's most prosperous industries and soon earned a national reputation for producing the best brass beds.
Thomas Oliver's keen business sense and desire to see his home city thrive propelled him into politics. He won the 1888 mayoral vote by a large majority, and was re-elected in 1889.
In 1891, Oliver planned and built this house for around $45,000. Thomas and his family moved into the house in the spring of 1892. He died July 10, 1904.
In 1911, the house was purchased by Monford Holly, a prominent local attorney and used it as his private residence. It was then purchased in 1924 and became a retirement home for 11 women under the name "Locust Haven." The First English Lutheran Church bought the residence in 1966 and has used it ever since as a parish house/church school.
175 Locust St
Lockport, NY United States
County / Borough / Parish: Niagara
Year listed: 1998
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Periods of significance: 1875-1899
Historic function: Domestic: Single Dwelling
Current function: Religion: Church Related Residence
Privately owned?: yes
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Hours of operation: Not listed
Secondary Website 1: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.