BuckhornTavern - Buckhorn Tavern Skirmish
N 34° 52.002 W 086° 27.319
16S E 549783 N 3858396
Quick Description: The Tavern predated Madison County, AL
Location: Alabama, United States
Date Posted: 6/16/2007 12:28:40 PM
Waymark Code: WM1PEP
A two-sided explaination sign. From the Plaque:
Located in Section 18, Township 2, Range 2 East, this site was an early wayside stop for pioneer settlers as they traveled the road from Winchester, Tennessee into Madison County. The tavern predates the creation of the county, Dec. 13, 1808.
During the Creek Indian War (1813-1814), the Deposit Road was created at this point and stretched southeastward through Cherokee lands to Fort Deposit near Gunter's Landing. This became the supply route for General Andrew Jackson's forces. His deputy, Colonel John Coffee, stored supplies opposite the tavern and camped his troops (Nov. 22-Dec. 8, 1813).
By tradition, the tavern took its name "Buckhorn" in 1858 when William L. Fanning killed a buck near the site and presented its antlers to the innkeeper. The antlers are now displayed at Buckhorn High School.
The original building was demolished in the early 1950s.
Buckhorn Tavern Skirmish
Buckhorn Tavern was the site of the skirmish on Oct. 12, 1863. Confederate General Phillip D. Roddey's Alabama Cavalry Brigade was moving south from New Market when it intercepted Union General Robert Mitchell's Cavalry Brigade, advancing northeast from Huntsville. A brisk firefight broke out, the opposing forces so close they could see each others' faces by the muzzle flashes. Both sides hesitated to advance in the approaching darkness and heavy rain. The Union troops camped for the night in the woods; the Confederates retired to New Market. The next morning, Rodney's Brigade rode on to Athens. The union cavalry did not pursue.