Marshall, James G., House - Niagara Falls, NY
Posted by: Rayman
N 43° 05.749 W 079° 03.432
17T E 658110 N 4773287
Quick Description: The James G. Marshall House was the home of an inventor and industrialist in Niagara Falls, NY.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 6/9/2007 8:10:24 PM
Waymark Code: WM1NK2
The James G. Marshall House, built in 1913, is architecturally significant as an example of the Arts and Crafts Style residence from the early 20th century. The house was designed by local architect Simon Larke, who designed many other Niagara Falls residences and buildings, including Niagara Falls High School. The house is also significant in that it was built for James G. Marshall, an internationally recognized inventor and industrialist who made significant contributions to the early 20th century expansion of industry in Niagara Falls.
James G. Marshall was born in 1869 in Bellefonte, PA. He attended Penn State University and received a B.S. in chemical engineering. Marshall came to Niagara Falls in 1896 due to the city's prominence in the newly emerging power industry. He worked for 40 years at Union Carbide and developed the covered furnace, which solved safety problems involved in the production of calcium carbide, and also developed an efficient collection method for collecting carbon monoxide. Marshall also is noted for his contributions in the advancement of employee benefits and betterment of employee working conditions.
Marshall retired in 1939 but continued as a consultant to Union Carbide, maintaining his office in his residence. It was during this time that Marshall became involved in the Manhattan Project and Western New York's participation in the development of the atomic bomb. He also was a noted civic leader until his death in 1960 at the age of 91.
After his death, the house remained in the Marshall family until 1974, when it was sold to the Episcopal Diocese of Buffalo to serve as a rectory for St. Peter's Church. The house was then sold to Louise and Tom Yots in December 1992 and was opened as Park Place Bed & Breakfast in April 1994.
740 Park Place
Niagara Falls, NY United States
County / Borough / Parish: Niagara
Year listed: 2004
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Person
Periods of significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949, 1950-1974
Historic function: Domestic: Single Dwelling
Current function: Domestic: Hotel, Single Dwelling
Privately owned?: yes
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Hours of operation: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.