Noble County Courthouse, Albion, IN
N 41° 23.768 W 085° 25.453
16T E 631731 N 4583931
Quick Description: The courthouse is in Courthouse Square, just off the intersection of SR8 & SR9, in Albion. There is also an official Indiana State Historic Marker at the Courthouse.
Location: Indiana, United States
Date Posted: 6/6/2007 6:57:10 AM
Waymark Code: WM1N4X
The courthouse is one of two locations in Albion that are on the National Historic Registry, the other being the "Old Jailhouse", formally known as the "Noble County Sheriff's House and Jail." It was entered into the National Historic Registry in 1981. The Indiana Historic Marker was erected in 1999.
This was not always the county seat; the original was in Sparta Township, on the Old Fort Wayne and Goshen trail, decided when the County was formed in 1836. The county seat moved to Augusta the following year. In 1844, the county seat was moved to Port Mitchell, and some buildings were constructed. However, in 1846, by a vote of the people, the County Seat was changed to "The Center," which was afterward called Albion, which was actually laid out in 1847.
All county records used to be housed here, but a fire in 1859 at the Noble County Courthouse destroyed most of the vital records, along with the original courthouse. A second courthouse, a two-story brick structure, was built in its place in 1860.
This courthouse, a "Richardsonian Romanesque Style" of brick and limestone, was started in 1887 and finished in 1889. It was designed by E. O. Fallis & Co., Toledo, Ohio.
The state is currently in the process of creating "360-degree virtual tours" of every one of the 92 Indiana County Courthouses. Unfortunately, Noble County hasn't been completed yet, and we are eagerly anticipating the update.
The Courthouse serves the 13 Townships of Noble County: Albion, Allen, Elkhart, Green, Jefferson, Noble, Orange, Perry, Sparta, Swan, Washington, Wayne and York.
TOTALLY IRRELEVANT TRIVIA: Noble county is 57th on the list of counties in Indiana when they are arranged alphabetically. That's why the license plates issued to Noble county residents all begin with 57.
Year Built: 1887-1889
Current Use of Building: Courthouse
Level of Courts: County
Architect: E. O. Fallis & Co., Toledo, OH
Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1889-present
101 North Orange Street
From: 9:00 AM To: 5:00 PM
Related Website: [Web Link]
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.