Braxton County Jail - Sutton, WV
Posted by: silverquill
N 39° 39.834 W 080° 42.527
17S E 524979 N 4390495
Quick Description: Established as Suttonsville in 1826. Named for john D. Sutton, the founder of the town. Incorporated in 1883. It is the county seat of Braxton County, West Virginia. The old jail was built about 1881.
Location: West Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 6/3/2007 11:35:57 PM
Waymark Code: WM1MX0
The county seat of Braxton County, Sutton is named for its founder, John D. Sutton. The first settlers in the area were Jeremiah and Benjamin Carpenter, who had settled on Elk River in 1784. Soon after, Benjamin and wife were killed by Indians. During the Civil War, Sutton was burned in 1861 by Confederate troops. The town is situated near the geographic center of West Virginia.
In about 1810, Sutton began developing as a trading center for the surrounding farm lands, settled primarily by descendants of the original trans-Allegheny pioneers. One of the earliest villages in the region, the town was originally established in 1826, as Suttonville, it's name changed to Sutton in 1837. Before 1836 the town had about a dozen inhabitants and was most commonly known by its post office name, Newville.
A large number of lumber mills, including the large operation of the Pardee-Curtin Lumber Company, were established near Sutton when the branch line of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) was completed to Sutton in the 1890s.
Today Sutton is a popular center for fishing and hunting on nearby lakes and rivers. Interstate 77 (I-77) runs alongside the town just north of its junction with the US Route 19 expressway.
Sutton, WV United States
Open to the public: No
Hours: Not listed
Fees?: Not listed
In order to add a new log to the waymark of this category, simply take another photo of the prison from a different angle than the other posts. Also add to the history of the jail when possible.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.