Vital Part of the Lincoln Highway
Posted by: stepshep
N 40° 50.516 W 084° 11.381
16T E 736929 N 4525011
Quick Description: A monument for a bridge on the Lincoln Highway which was removed in 2002.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 5/26/2007 12:50:08 PM
Waymark Code: WM1KC8
This historical bridge was built on this site in 1927 by the Allen County Engineer's Office. When opened, it carried the Delphos-Upper Sandusky Road, U.S. Route 30, commonly referred to as the Lincoln Highway, over the Ottawa River and served as an important transportation link for area residents, as well as local and regional commerce.
The structure was a spandrel filled reinforced concrete arch, consisting of three equal 70 foot clear supporting a 28 foot wide deck. The decorative railing, called a balustrade consisted of concrete spindles and cap.
At the time of removal in 2002, this structure had served the traveling public for 75 years. This monument is a tribute to the incredible workmanship of our forefathers and commemorates this magnificent structure that was a vital link on the Lincoln Highway, which was America's first transcontinental automobile route.
Gallery images by myself are licensed under "Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0".
Please post a photo of a highway marker showing your GPS in the scene.