DeLeon Plaza and Bandstand - Victoria, Texas
Posted by: JimmyEv
N 28° 47.980 W 097° 00.383
14R E 694572 N 3187421
Quick Description: De Leon Plaza, originally known as ‘Plaza de la Constitucion,’ was one of four public squares set-aside by colony founder Martin de Leon. The plaza is filled with local monuments and memorials.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 4/28/2007 6:42:55 PM
Waymark Code: WM1FMR
Over the years, monuments and memorials have accumulated in De Leon Plaza. A Victorian bandstand was added to the plaza in 1885 to cover a waterwell; Victoria got its Confederate Monument thirteen years later, courtesy of the local chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy. The statue, Last Stand
, by Pompeo Coppini, is markedly different from other confederate statues throughout Texas. Most are of soldiers rigidly looking North for invaders; Coppini’s features a bedraggled soldier, wounded and clothes torn, much more like statues of American Revolutionary War soldiers.
The plaza’s landscaping was reworked in 1940 by The Works Progress Administration, in its mission to provide Americans with jobs. Historical markers, sidewalks and benches were added. Other monuments since include the six flags that have flown over Victoria and a monument for the German immigrants that passed through on their way to settlements in the Hill Country.