By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Saturn Club
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Rayman
N 42° 54.639 W 078° 52.223
17T E 673835 N 4753092
Quick Description: The Saturn Club in Buffalo was a presitgious club for well-educated and prominent individuals living in and around the city.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 4/27/2007 8:25:04 PM
Waymark Code: WM1FFC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member deano1943
Views: 31

Long Description:
The Saturn Club is an excellent example of early 20th century Tudor Revival architecture designed by the local firm of Bley & Lyman.

The formation of private clubs began in the early 18th century in England. These clubs were associations of like-minded individuals for the purpose of fostering camerarderie. The club movement reached its peak in the English speaking world in the late 19th century. During this time, many clubs formed in large cities all across America. The most important were the University Club of 1899 and the Century Club of 1891, both in New York City. In terms of the makeup of the membership, Buffalo's Saturn Club resembled that of those two well-known organizations, which limited membership to well educated and artistic gentlemen.

On October 21, 1885, Carleton Sprague invited thirteen friends to his house on Main Street for the purpose of forming a new club for young, up and coming men. The Buffalo Club, which was established in the 1860s, seemed to conservative for Sprague, who wanted the new association to be made up of college graduates. It was suggested by Francis Almy the new group meet on Saturdays and for that reason, be called the Saturn Club.

The club grew quickly in membership and wealth and moved several times in its early years. In 1889, the club which now consisted of 150 members, became formally incorporated in Erie County and laid plans to construct its own building. By the end of January, Sprague reported that over $13,000 had been raised for the project. The club bought a piece of land at Delaware & Edward and had a 3-story building built. With a proper clubhouse, membership grew to include several locally prominent individuals, including Roswell Park, James W. Wadsworth, and J.N. Adam.

By 1914, there was again talk of enlarging the clubhouse, which was already expanded twice. Eventually in December 1920, the new building committee suggested selling the current clubhouse and build a new one elsewhere. Duane Lyman, a club member and local architect, drew plans for a new building to be built on land acquired at 977 Delaware. On October 21, 1921 the cornerstone was laid with construction complete exactly one year later. Total cost of the building was $500,000. The Club still exists to this day in the same building.
Street address:
977 Delaware Ave
Buffalo, NY United States
14209


County / Borough / Parish: Erie

Year listed: 2005

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event

Periods of significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949, 1950-1974

Historic function: Social: Clubhouse

Current function: Social: Clubhouse

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.