How, James and Fanny, House - Buffalo, NY
Posted by: Rayman
N 42° 55.001 W 078° 52.456
17T E 673501 N 4753754
Quick Description: The James and Fanny How House is a Tudor Revival style house on the west side of Buffalo, NY.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 4/25/2007 6:25:30 PM
Waymark Code: WM1F90
The James and Fanny How House, built in 1924, is architecturally significant as an outstanding example of Tudor Revival domestic architecture in Buffalo. Designed by architect, landscape designer and artist Harold L. Olmsted, the house is also important as one of the few examples of a building designed entirely by Olmsted, who worked on renovations of existing houses more often that designing new ones. The significance of the How House is enhanced by its setting on St. Catherine's Court, an early 20th century cul-de-sac with other revival style homes. James and Fanny How bought the lot at 41 St. Catherine's Court so they could be close to Mrs. How's son and his children who lived at 25 St. Catherine's. They applied for a building permit August 29, 1924 and the house was completed later that year.
The neighborhood the How House is located in was mostly developed in the early 20th century, however the area began to be settled in the 19th century. The land was part of the Charles F. Wadsworth estate in the mid-1800s, which later became part of the John J. Albright estate. Albright's mansion was built in 1903 on the lot directly to the east of How's house.
James How moved to Buffalo in 1901 from Brooklyn and became manager of the Hartford Rubber Works, which later became a part of the United States Rubber Company. From 1904 until his retirement in 1938, he was manager of S.O. Barnum & Son, a sporting goods and variety store. How was also a leader in the social and artistic life of Buffalo serving as president of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, and as president of the Country Club of Buffalo. His first wife, Fanny Barnum Keating, was an accomplished pianist and composer.
In 1949 Sidney S. Walcott and his wife bought the house. Walcott was a founding officer of Dunlop Tire & Rubber Company. The house was sold to Haskel Stovroff in 1954, then to Mary Jo Broquedis in 1965. In 1973, Lee Walker and Mary Willis Walker bought the house. Mary Ellis Walker is a well-known mystery writer with three published books.
41 St. Catherine's Ct
Buffalo, NY United States
County / Borough / Parish: Erie
Year listed: 1997
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Periods of significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Historic function: Domestic: Single Dwelling
Current function: Domestic: Single Dwelling
Privately owned?: yes
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Hours of operation: Not listed
Secondary Website 1: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.