Kelly, Col. William, House
Posted by: Rayman
N 42° 54.993 W 078° 52.391
17T E 673590 N 4753742
Quick Description: The Colonel William Kelly House is a Colonial Revival style home built for an Army engineer, located on the west side of Buffalo, NY.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 4/25/2007 5:05:01 PM
Waymark Code: WM1F8V
The William Kelly House, built in 1937, is architecturally significant as an example of Colonial Revival style architecture. The significance of the Kelly House is enhanced by its setting on Tudor Place, an early 20th century residential street with other revival style houses of similar scale. Although the house is located in an area developed predominantly in the early 1900s, the area began to be settled in the 19th century. In the mid-1800s, the property was a part of the Charles F. Wadsworth Estate. During this period, many other large estates were located along West Ferry Street to the south, which was the main route to the ferry that ran from Buffalo to Fort Erie, Canada.
The original building permit, dated March 24, 1937, lists Albert Hart Hopkins as the architect, Rixon Construction Company as the contractor, and Colonel William Kelly as the owner. Subsequent owners of the house include James Soper Ely, vice-president and treasurer of the Niagara Share Corporation; Colonel Henry B. Sheets, a vice-president of Marine Trust Company; David Oliver Smith; and Frederick S. Pierce.
Colonel William Kelly graduated second in his class from the US Military Academy at West Point in 1908. As an officer in the Corps of Engineers, he supervised the construction of roads and bridges in the Philippines during the early 1900s and directed the design and construction of several seacost fortifications in the US. Upon his retirement from the Army in 1926, Kelly served as president of the Buffalo Niagara Electric Corporation until 1945. Kelly died in 1980 at the age of 103.
36 Tudor Pl
Buffalo, NY United States
County / Borough / Parish: Erie
Year listed: 1997
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Periods of significance: 1925-1949
Historic function: Domestic: Single Dwelling
Current function: Domestic: Single Dwelling
Privately owned?: yes
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Hours of operation: Not listed
Secondary Website 1: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.