By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Johnston, Edwin M. and Emily S., House
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Rayman
N 42° 54.965 W 078° 52.391
17T E 673592 N 4753690
Quick Description: The Johnston House is an example of a Colonial Revival style home on the west side of Buffalo, NY.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 4/24/2007 9:19:29 PM
Waymark Code: WM1F6M
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 30

Long Description:
The Edwin M. and Emily S. Johnston House, built in 1934, is architecturally significant as a fine domestic example of the Colonial Revival style. It is also important as an example of the work of prominent local architects Bley & Lyman. The significance of the Johnston House is enhanced by its setting on Tudor Place, an early 20th century residential street with other revival style houses of similiar scale. The attached garage reflects the economic status of the owners and of the general area of the city. During the early 20th century, garages were typically built at the rear of the property as a separate building to prevent potential fires from reaching the house.

Although the Johnston House and the neighborhood it is located in is the result of early 20th century growth in Buffalo, the area began to be settled in the 19th century. The land this house is located on was part of the Charles F. Wadsworth estate in the mid-1800s, later incorporated into the John J. Albright estate.

The lot at 24 Tudor Place was purchased from Joseph and Harriet Bell on January 21, 1927 by Henry O. Smith who lived at 33 Tudor Place. Smith was a nationally known financier and president of the Foster-Milburn Company in Buffalo. Smith transferred ownership to his daughter, Emily Smith Johnston, on December 17, 1934. Emily and Edwin McClellan Johnston were the first residents of the house, living there from 1934 to 1942.

The house was also owned by other famous Buffalonians. Edward A. Atwill was a prominent local businessman and his wife, Louise Weigel Atwill was an olympic figure skater. Atwill was vice-president of Buffalo's oldest and largest brewery at the time, the Iroquios Beverage Company. He and his wife lived in the house from 1942-1945. Local neurologist Dr. Walter Stafford and his wife Constance lived in the house from 1948 till his death in 1987.
Street address:
24 Tudor Pl
Buffalo, NY United States
14222


County / Borough / Parish: Erie

Year listed: 1997

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1925-1949

Historic function: Domestic: Single Dwelling

Current function: Domestic: Single Dwelling

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 1: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.