By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Pretoria, South Africa
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member TeamTGF
S 25° 45.190 E 028° 11.237
35J E 619073 N 7151114
Quick Description: The Pretoria City Hall, inaugurated in 1931.
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
Date Posted: 4/7/2007 7:05:37 AM
Waymark Code: WM1CRP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 131

Long Description:

Since the middle of the 19th century, it was fashionable to build town halls to house the city administation. These buildings satisfied the need of mass meetings of a new democracy and also served to impress rate payers and visitors.

The specific architectural techniques used by many city councils are reflected by the Pretoria City Hall. The building is situated away from the street to make it seem bigger from a distance and has a simple rectangular shape of large proportions, resulting in a monumental effect.

Traditionally, verticle objects have suggested dominance and power and these are reflected in the City Hall's classical columns and especially in the heavy tower that crowns the tiled roof.

Pretoria's first town hall was built in 1905 in Pretorius Street, three years after a proper local authority was established. It was replaced by this City Hall, erected on a piece of vacant land indicated as 'Drooge Klip Bult' (Dry, rocky outcrop) on Pretoria's first map of 1859. The City Hall celebrates the status of 'city' obtained in 1931. The building resulted from an architectural competition, won by FG McIntosh in 1926. Due to economic depression, work could only start in 1931, by which time McIntosh had passed away and his assistant, John Lockwood Hall had taken over the resposibility.

When the building was inaugurated in December 1931, the public was entertained by John Connell's music on the organ, built by WW Kimball of Chicago. The carillion (Chimes), also from Chicago, was donated to the city by George Heys, the original owner of Melrose House.

The two statues in the park in front of the building depict Martinus Pretorius (1819 - 1901) and his father Andries Pretorius (1798 - 1853), after whom Pretoria was named.

Name: Pretoria City Hall

Address:
432 Kruger Str
Pretoria, Gauteng South Africa
0078


Date of Construction: December 1931

Architect: FG McIntosh and John Lockwood Hall

Memorials/Commemorations/Dedications:
Andries Pretorius statue


Web Site for City/Town/Municipality: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Post at least one original photo of the building that is a different view from the one on the page and describe your visit, including the date. Add any additional information that you may have about this building. A GPSr photo is NOT required
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest City and Town Halls
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Casper&Aero visited Pretoria, South Africa 10/31/2014 Casper&Aero visited it
Queens Blessing visited Pretoria, South Africa 9/28/2013 Queens Blessing visited it
TeamDJ* visited Pretoria, South Africa 10/6/2012 TeamDJ* visited it
TechnoNut visited Pretoria, South Africa 10/6/2012 TechnoNut visited it
Cherokee.za visited Pretoria, South Africa 7/27/2011 Cherokee.za visited it
the_brutons visited Pretoria, South Africa 3/6/2011 the_brutons visited it

View all visits/logs