By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Southwark Parish Churches
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member VirginiaSeeker
N 37° 08.007 W 076° 53.160
18S E 332476 N 4111341
Quick Description: Southwark Parish was a colonial church in Surry County.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 1/30/2007 3:11:49 AM
Waymark Code: WM16BF
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member showbizkid
Views: 76

Long Description:
Southwark Parish was established in 1647. To the northeast stood the second Southwark Church built by 1673 and abandoned shortly after the American Revolution. To the east, near Bacon's Castle, Southward Parish vestry completed the Lower Southwark Church in 1754. It too fell in disuse after the American Revolution and the disestablishment of the Anglican Church, but other denominations occasionally held services there. Episcopalians settled a mission at the church in 1847, but were forced by the other groups using the building to erect their own church nearby. Fire gutted the building in 1868, but some brick ruins remain.
Marker Number: K 229

Marker Title: Southwark Parish Churches

Marker Location: Rt. 10 just north of Surry

County or Independent City: Surry County

Marker Program Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources, 2005.

Web Site: Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Virginia Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Wingnut71 visited Southwark Parish Churches 5/9/2009 Wingnut71 visited it

View all visits/logs