By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Miller--Mackey House
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Rayman
N 42° 54.017 W 078° 40.149
17T E 690294 N 4752376
Quick Description: This former house and medical office in Lancaster, NY now serves as the Lancaster Boys and Girls Club.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 1/20/2007 3:42:15 PM
Waymark Code: WM15B7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member snfromky
Views: 11

Long Description:
The Miller-Mackey House is a locally distinctive example of the Colonial Revival style of architecture from the early 20th century. The property enjoyed a long association with two locally prominent families who were active both in medicine and in the commercial life of the community.

The house was built for Dr. John G. Miller in 1905. Enjoying the fruits of a successful medical practice elsewhere in the village, Dr. Miller built this new home which also contained his professional offices. During his long association with the Village of Lancaster, John Miller served as health officer for 20 years and was on the Board of Education for 42 years, 28 of which he served as president.

In 1911, Miller's daughter Marjorie married Dr. Clarence H. Mackey and the Mackeys began an association with the house which lasted into the second half of the 20th century. Dr. Mackey established his practice in Lancaster and shared offices with his father-in-law, Dr. Miller. Mackey followed in Miller's footsteps and also served as Lancaster health officer. He also served as school physician for the Village and Town. Clarence and Marjorie Mackey occupied the house after the death of the Millers, and Dr. Mackey maintained his office in the house until his own death.

In 1957, the Depew Lancaster Boys' Club purchased the property for $40,000 from Marjorie Mackey's estate. Now known as the Boys' and Girls' Club, the organization has used the property since that time as a recreational and social facility for the area's young people.
Street address:
5440 Broadway
Lancaster, NY United States
14086


County / Borough / Parish: Erie

Year listed: 1999

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949

Historic function: Domestic, Health Care: Medical Business/Office, Single Dwelling

Current function: Domestic, Social: Civic, Multiple Dwelling

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 1: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Dory The Explorer visited Miller--Mackey House 2/16/2008 Dory The Explorer visited it

View all visits/logs