Fort Sherman Chapel, Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Posted by: RvrRnr
N 47° 40.587 W 116° 47.670
11T E 515424 N 5280360
Quick Description: Fort Sherman Chapel, constructed in 1880 by the U.S. Army, the chapel is Coeur d'Alene's oldest church.
Location: Idaho, United States
Date Posted: 12/13/2006 5:28:39 PM
Waymark Code: WM11DZ
According to historical documents Fort Sherman was officially established by the U.S. Congress on April 16, 1878, was in operation through 1898 and played a major role in the development of the city of Coeur d’Alene.
The original chapel, which faced the old fort parade grounds, was constructed in 1880 by the U.S. Army. The fort was decommissioned in 1900, and the buildings and property were sold at auction in 1905. The chapel has been used by many denominations over the past years for their worship services. In 1942 the chapel was purchased by the Athletic Round Table and a restoration project took place saving Coeur d'Alene oldest church from decay. It was then donated to the Museum of North Idaho in 1984 and still serves the public for weddings, meetings and celebrations.
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 10/14/1880
Age of Church building determined by?: Cornerstone or plaque
Street address of Church:
332 Hubbard St.
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Kootenai
Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]
Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]
If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Not listed
If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed
If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed
Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.
2) Please share some comments about your visit.
3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.