By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

CoA Sportplatz - Nickenich, RP, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 50° 24.867 E 007° 18.941
32U E 380334 N 5586068
Quick Description: Das Wappen von Nickenich an einer Steinsäule in der Nähe der Heimschule.
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 9/11/2019 3:31:42 AM
Waymark Code: WM119BN
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:
[DE] "Nickenich, Neekenesch auf Nickenicher Platt, ist eine Ortsgemeinde im Landkreis Mayen-Koblenz in Rheinland-Pfalz. Sie gehört der Verbandsgemeinde Pellenz an. Nickenich ist ein staatlich anerkannter Fremdenverkehrsort.

Nickenich liegt in unmittelbarer Nähe zum Laacher See (drei Kilometer Luftlinie von der Ortsmitte), sieben Kilometer von Andernach entfernt.

Archäologischen Funden zufolge war Nickenich vor weit über 2000 Jahren Siedlungsplatz der Kelten (Tumulus-Grabmalfund, Brandgräber und Urnen im Ortsbereich). Spuren aus der keltischen Siedlungsperiode wurden noch 1993 und 1994 vom Landesamt für Denkmalpflege Rheinland-Pfalz in Mainz in der Nickenicher Gemarkung „auf dem Hönsenacker“ entdeckt und freigelegt. Der keltischen Siedlungsperiode folgten etwa um 50 v. Chr. die Römer. In einer Urkunde vom 5. Mai 1069, in der Papst Alexander II. eine Schenkung Bischof Odos von Toul (1052–1069) über ein Viertel der Nickenicher Eigenkirche mit 400 Morgen Land an das Kloster St. Salvator in Toul bestätigt, wurde Nickenich als Nethenis erstmals erwähnt. Auch eine Herleitung aus dem Festlandkeltischen wird in Erwägung gezogen. So soll zur Zeit der Kelten und Römer die Siedlung aus Villen und Höfen „NIGIDIACUM“ (lateinische Form aus keltisch „NIGIDIACOS“) geheißen haben und so viel wie „Siedlung des NIGIDIUS“ bedeuten, ähnlich wie Andernach aus „ANTUNNACUM“ (keltisch „ANTUNNACOS“). Nach dem Weggang der Römer siedelten die Franken in der Region.

Seit dem 12. Jahrhundert ist die Existenz von Nickenich beinahe lückenlos als Ort nachgewiesen. Große Ritterfamilien und hochgestellte Persönlichkeiten lebten hier, zum Beispiel die Ritter Gramann von Nickenich (1373–1518) und die Ritter von Nickenich, später Ritter von dem Weiher zu Nickenich nach der Belehnung des Weiherhofs.

Um 1332 erfolgte die Gründung des Kartäuserklosters St. Alban in Konz. Der kurtrierische Lehnshof (ehemaliger Karthäuserhof (Zehnthof) mit Gebäuden von 1755) war seinerzeit im Besitz des Rittergeschlechts der Winkel von Nickenich. Nach Erlöschen des Rittergeschlechtes wurde er 1340 vom Erzbischof und Kurfürsten von Trier, Balduin von Luxemburg, dem Kloster St. Alban übertragen.

Die ältesten urkundlich bezeugten Schreibweisen für Nickenich sind: Nikedich (1163), Nekedich, Neckendich (15. Jahrhundert)."

(visit link)

[EN] "Nickenich, Neekenesch on Nickenicher Platt, is a local community in the district of Mayen-Koblenz in Rhineland-Palatinate. It belongs to the community of Pellenz. Nickenich is a state-approved tourist resort.

Nickenich lies in the immediate vicinity of Lake Laach (three kilometres as the crow flies from the town centre), seven kilometres from Andernach.

According to archaeological findings, Nickenich was the settlement site of the Celts well over 2000 years ago (tumulus tomb find, cremation tombs and urns in the local area). Traces from the Celtic settlement period were discovered and uncovered in 1993 and 1994 by the Rhineland-Palatinate State Office for Monument Conservation in Mainz in the Nickenich district "auf dem Hönsenacker". The Celtic settlement period was followed by the Romans around 50 BC. Nickenich was first mentioned as Nethenis in a document dated 5 May 1069 in which Pope Alexander II confirmed a donation by Bishop Odos of Toul (1052-1069) of a quarter of Nickenich's own church with 400 acres of land to the monastery of St Salvador in Toul. Also a derivation from the mainland Celtic is considered. Thus at the time of the Celts and Romans the settlement from villas and courts is said to have been called "NIGIDIACUM" (Latin form from Celtic "NIGIDIACOS") and to mean as much as "settlement of NIGIDIUS", similar to Andernach from "ANTUNNACUM" (Celtic "ANTUNNACOS"). After the departure of the Romans the Franks settled in the region.

Since the 12th century the existence of Nickenich has been almost completely proven as a place. Large knight families and high-ranking personalities lived here, for example the knights Gramann von Nickenich (1373-1518) and the knights von Nickenich, later knights of the Weiher zu Nickenich after the enfeoffment of the Weiherhof.

Around 1332 the Carthusian monastery St. Alban was founded in Konz. The Kurtrierische Lehnshof (former Karthäuserhof (Zehnthof) with buildings from 1755) was at that time in the possession of the knight dynasty Winkel von Nickenich. After the extinction of the knight dynasty it was transferred in 1340 by the archbishop and elector of Trier, Balduin of Luxembourg, to the monastery St. Alban.

The oldest documented spellings for Nickenich are: Nikedich (1163), Nekedich, Neckendich (15th century)."

Translated with Deepl Translator
Bearer of Coat of Arms: Town

Full name of the bearer: Nickenich

Where is Coat of Arms installed (short description) ?:
The coat of arms of Nickenich is on a stone column next to the sports field of Nickenich.


Material / Design: Stone

Blazon (heraldic description):
[DE] "Blasonierung: „In Silber drei rote Rauten über einem grünen Ring.“ Wappenbegründung: Die drei Rauten sind dem Wappen der Ritter zu Nickenich (~ 1160–1616; seit ~ 1400 Ritter von dem Weiher zu Nickenich) entnommen, der Ring steht für St. Arnulf, Bischof von Metz." [EN] "Blasonation: "In silver, three red diamonds over a green ring." Reason for the coat of arms: The three diamonds are taken from the coat of arms of the Knights of Nickenich (~ 1160-1616; since ~ 1400 Knights of the Pond of Nickenich), the ring stands for St. Arnulf, Bishop of Metz." https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickenich#Wappen


Address:
Hauptstraße, 56645 Nickenich


Web page about the bearer of Coat of Arms (if exists): [Web Link]

Web page about the structure where is Coat of Arms installed (if exists): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the coat of arms. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Coats of Arms
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.