By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Christ Church Lychgate - Rushen, Isle of Man
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Mike_bjm
N 54° 05.289 W 004° 44.425
30U E 386163 N 5994729
Quick Description: The Lychgate to Kirk Christ is the Rushen Parish War Memorial.
Location: Isle of Man
Date Posted: 9/9/2019 7:20:55 AM
Waymark Code: WM11926
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 2

Long Description:
The Lychgate to Kirk Christ is the Rushen Parish War Memorial. On entering the Lychgate from Church Road the WWI memorial stone is on the righthand side of the gate and is inscribed as follows:
THIS LYCHGATE AND TABLET IN THE CHURCH
WERE ERECTED BY THE PARISHONERS OF
RUSHEN
IN MEMORY OF
THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH
WHO LOS THEIR LIVES
IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-18
C.H. LEECE, R.D.
VICAR

On the lefthand side of the Lychgate is the WWII memorial stone which bears the inscription:
ALSO IN MEMORY OF
THE MEN
AND WOMEN
FROM THIS PARISH WHO LOST THEIR LIVES
IN THE
SECOND WORLD WAR
1939-45
J.D.GELLING , M.A.
VICAR

The War Memorials Online website shows the following information:
Status:On original site
Type:Freestanding
Location:External
Setting:Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description:Lychgate
Materials:
Stone Stone (any)
Lettering:Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts:
First World War (1914-1918)
Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:The Lychgate has an interior dimension of 2.89m by 2.59m. The walls are of local rubble stone, cemented and rough cast, with an alcove on either side containing oak seat; and on each wall is a marble tablet inscribed. The floor is paved with local stone slabs, and the roof covered with Manx Barrule slates. All the woodwork:, uprights, beams purlins, rafters and gates are made out of Manx-grown oak. The memorial was unveiled 21 April 1921 by the Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man, Sir William Fry, accompanied by Lady Fry and Mr Leigh Goldie-Taubman, H.K. It was dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Sodor and Mann. The clergy and ministers present were the Lord Bishop, Rev Canon Leece , R.D. (Vicar), Rev Wm. R. Cannell (curate) who carried the Pastoral Staff, Rev E. C. Botwood (curate), Rev Robt. Ferguson (a former curate of Rushen), Rev W. J. Hannam (Superintendent Wesleyan minister), Rev J. W. Haswell (Wesleyan) and the Rev John Graham (Superintendent Primitive minister). The memorial was sponsored by public subscription. Itl was initiated and materialised at the instance of the members of the Parochial Church Council (with the Vicar chairman), who formed themselves into a Memorials Committee, after previous unsuccesful attempts had been made in other directions. The memorial was designed by Mr T. H, Royston of Douglas. The woodwork was executed by Mr Herbert Moore, joiner and builder, Athol-street, Port St. Mary. The masonry by Mr Joseph Hudgeon, of Gansey-under the supervision of Mr Royston. The cost of the Tablet and Lychgate, together with the alterations to the entrance of the Churchyard, was approximately £400. Information provided by the Isle of Man Government Preservation of War Memorials Committee. Isle of Man National Inventory of War Memorials

source: (visit link)
Year: 1921

Address:
Church Road Port St. Mary, Isle of Man IM9 5LW


Link to Church or Cemetery: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Include at least one photo of the lychgate or Depositoire taken by yourself. A short description of, or comment on, your visit is required, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lychgates and Depositories
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.